Thursday, October 22, 2009

Conversations With Kids

Warmer days

About five years ago, our family of three (Annie was just a twinkle in my eye) was walking along the river in downtown Bend, Oregon. At the time, we were thinking of getting a membership to the local recreation center. While we never actually joined, a memorable conversation came from the discussion.

Me: Benjamin, Daddy and I are thinking about getting a membership...
Benjamin (excitedly interrupting ): Oh, good...because my thinking about getting a pirate ship!

* * * * * * *

Annie has recently decided she likes having her hair in a "twist" — her term for a bun. Last night, as I was putting Benjamin and Annie to bed, I suggested we take her hair down from the daytime do. Once I took out the hairband, a very tired Annie began to cry because her hair looked like "messy mustard."

* * * * * * *

I overheard this conversation earlier today:

Benjamin: I'm a monster and you are running from me because I'm going to eat you.
Annie (upset): Noooooooooooo.
Benjamin (sensing he's losing control of the game): You can be a princess?
Annie (thinking about it): Mmmmmm...
Benjamin (sweetening the pot): And a prince will rescue you?
Annie: Oh, yes!
Benjamin: And I'll eat him.

1 comment:

  1. oh, from the mouths of babes! i wish i had a running journal of all of those moments...

    ReplyDelete