Saturday, December 5, 2009

Yes, I Run (for the month of December anyway)

Benjamin and Annie at the start of the Jingle Bell Fun Run

I'm married to an ultrarunner. An I-run-100-mile-runs-on-mountainous-terrain runner (you can view his blog here). That's not an easy thing to compete with. When people find out about Jeff's superhuman running powers, they often ask if I run as well. And I want so badly to say yes.

But my athletic prowess ended the moment I became pregnant with Benjamin. Oh, I've had a few in-shape moments over the past seven years, including an on-again-off-again relationship with the always hip Jane Fonda 1984 video and a brief but lovely stint with Crossfit (which, by the way is the most enjoyable workout ever...see my local favorite High Desert Crossfit and Crossfit's main site). I'm always happier when I'm fit. And, of course, I'd like to be a positive role model for my children (though obviously less extreme than my husband). So I thought I'd give it another try. And since I can't pay for Crossfit in this simpler season, I'm getting a little jiggy with it.

Here's my plan: 20 minutes of running per day, everyday, with an initial goal of the December calendar in it's entirety. Now before you laugh at the simplicity (my three loyal readers), figure this: 20 minutes per day for 7 days = 2 hours and 20 minutes per week. If I run just 20 minutes a day for the entire month of December, I'll have run over 10 hours! The best part is that it's really doable! I can either run in our yard or in the house. Four out of five of this week's runs were done in the house, much of it in place (who needs a treadmill?). This evening, I ran in the kitchen after the kids were asleep while keeping an eye on the carrot cake I was baking for church tomorrow. Half-way through my run, I realized I hadn't had enough water and proceeded to pour myself a glass while running. Just don't try to drink water from a glass without taking a brief break (yes, I learned the hard way). So there you have it. A workout you can do without taking time out of your day to do it. Ridiculous? Maybe. But does anyone care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment